General Legal Information for Washington State
For general information about civil* legal issues in Washington State and for pro se** materials, please visit Washington Law Help: http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org.
* Civil – this means any legal issue that is not criminal. For example: landlord tenant problems, family law (divorce, child support), immigration law, or bankruptcy.
** Pro Se – this means you are representing yourself without an attorney.
Low Income Help
- If you are low-income and looking for free legal assistance, these organizations may be able to assist you:
- Housing Justice Project - for help with eviction issues, please visit: https://www.kcba.org/For-the-Public/Free-Legal-Assistance/Housing-Justice-Project
- KCBA Volunteer Legal Services - for help with a case involving debt, bankruptcy (Chapter 7 only), vacating criminal records, social security overpayments or estate planning, please call (206) 267-7070 or visit: https://www.kcba.org/For-the-Public/Free-Legal-Assistance/Volunteer-Legal-Services
- Northwest Justice Project - for help involving immigration, housing (landlord/tenant) or predatory lending issues, please call 1-(800)-621-4636 (for King County) or 1-(888)-201-1014 (for outside of King County)
- If you are 200% or Below the Federal Poverty Line:
Washington Web Lawyer (website for low-income people who have civil legal issues in Washington and you can get free legal advice from a volunteer attorney). https://waweblawyer.org/
King County Residents
- Call 2-1-1 (social service referral program – they can also assist connecting you with other community resources such as homeless shelters).
- Neighborhood Legal Clinics (30 minute consultation with an attorney at a legal clinic in King County. To schedule an appointment call 206-267-7070, the appointment line is open Tuesday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.
Residents outside of King County (e.g. Snohomish, Pierce, Thurston, etc.)
- Northwest Justice Project’s CLEAR Line (limited legal assistance over the phone and legal referral service for low-income clients). Call 1-888-201-1014. The phone line is open Monday through Friday from 9:15 am – 12:15 pm.
- If you are 60 years or older, you can call CLEAR*Sr at 1-888-387-7111